Monday, August 20, 2012

Sunshine and Summertime

As my summer comes to an end, I want to reflect on what I would have originally considered a barely mediocre summer. My three jobs overwhelmed me and basically consumed most of my free time. I felt like I barely was able to enjoy the summer time, until I started listing the things I did that I had never done before or really love doing. I finally realized that my summer was fairly successful.

Top 10 things I did this summer:
1. I went to the beach: It may have only been twice (and one of those times it was pouring rain), but it's my place of bliss and any opportunity I have to be there is very appreciated.
2. I ate crab fries in Maryland: Doesn't sound that amazing until you take a jet ski out on the water and arrive at the marina and get served a margarita and a large helping of cheese fries with old bay and crab meat on top. YUM!
3. I went to Nashville: It was obviously to visit my parents, but I was able to do some really fun and exciting things out there.
4. I went to Coyote Ugly: Not the original one in NY, but the one in Nashville. It has been my dream to work there since the movie came out when I was in 6th grade, and after going there, it might not still be my dream to work there, but I would definitely enjoy a few dances on the bar!
5. I got my very first tattoo: I have been planning it for years, and I finally splurged and got it done. It is on my hip and it is a hibiscus flower with a wave that flows into the word bliss. The word came to me from a Beach Boys quote, "On the beach, you can live in bliss," which I couldn't agree with more. 
6. I was able to go see two concerts: I saw Kenny Chesney and Tim McGraw together and I was able to see Toby Keith and Brantley Gilbert. Both were amazing shows!
7. I went to my first drag show: I celebrated my friend's birthday in New York City at Lips, which is a drag & dinner show. It was a fun night out!
8. I sat behind Nick Carter on a plane: Basically every twenty-some year old girl's dream. He wasn't as spectacular as one would hope. He was rather arrogant and annoying, but at least I can say I sat with him on a plane! 
9. I rented my first apartment/house: I have been out of my parents house for quite some time now, but it was always my boyfriend's house. This time it is both of ours and it finally feels that way. I am still unpacking, but I'm sure you will continue to hear about my decorating adventures as they happen.
10. I received an assistantship: I was not only accepted into grad school, I was offered an assistantship which includes a full tuition reimbursement and a large stipend. The position will give me great exposure to my field and I'm so eager to start next week! There will definitely be more to come about my assistantship!

There may be more on this list, but this is a pretty inclusive list of the things I was able to accomplish this summer. For once in my life, I was eager for summer to end so that I could start the entirely new chapter of my life: graduate school!

This chapter begins tomorrow as I venture to University of Delaware to obtain my books, parking pass, & ID card, and I'm sure you will hear about my misadventures along the way.

Until then...

-N

1 comment: